The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) recently released their list of Five Star Rated Medicare Advantage Plans for 2013 (see list below). In an effort to increase competition between Medicare providers, the star rating system compiles information reported by insurers, consumer surveys and Medicare records to help consumers identify high-quality Medicare plans. The rating system may also provide you with another option to enroll or make changes to your existing Medicare Advantage plan choice.
Although the Medicare Annual Enrollment Period ends on December 7, if you’re interested in switching to a Five Star Medicare Advantage and/or Part D drug plan, you may do so if a CMS rated Five Star plan is available in your area. CMS has established a Special Enrollment Period for Medicare beneficiaries to enroll in a Five Star Medicare Advantage Plan at any point in the year.
Keep in mind that just because a plan has been awarded a Five Star Rating, it may not always be in your best option. If your providers are not in network on a Five Star plan, for example, you’ll want to determine whether changing providers is in your best interest.
5 Star Rated Medicare Advantage Plans for 2013
- Capital Health Plan: Primary State- FL
- Dean Health Plan, Inc.: Primary State- WI
- Gundersen Lutheran Health Plan, Inc.: Primary State-WI
- HealthPartners: Primary State- MN
- HealthSpring of Florida, Inc.: Primary State-FL
- HNE Medicare Advantage Plans: Primary State-MA
- Humana Wisconsin Health Organization Insurance Corp: Primary State-WI
- Kaiser Permanente Medicare Cost: Primary State – CA
- Kaiser Permanente: Primary States-CA, CO, HI, VA, MD, DC
- Medica Insurance Company: Primary States-MN, ND, SD
- Medical Associates Clinical Health Plan of Wisconsin: Primary State-WI
- Medical Associates Health Plan, Inc: Primary State–IA
If you need assistance in finding a Medicare plan that best fits your health and financial needs, please call our licensed Medicare agents at MedicareSolutions at 1-800-328-7305.